Jigsaws puzzles with 3 download options, 100+ pieces, 200+ pieces and 300+ pieces.
Click the boxes below for more information about each of the jigsaws.
Some of these jigsaws are also available as desktop wallpaper
More jigsaws at the Daily Surprise Jigsaw page and the Daily Jigsaw page
Cragside House, gardens and woodland are situated near Rothbury in Northumberland. It was the family home of Lord Armstrong, Victorian inventor and industrialist. In 1870 Cragside became the first building in the world to be lit by hydroelectricity. Described in 1880 as 'a palace of the modern magician' the house contains a wealth of ingenious gadgetry for its era, including fire alarm buttons, telephones, a passenger lift and a Turkish bath suite. It is also home to one of Europe's largest rock gardens that slopes down the valley to the Debdon Burn. The Iron Bridge in the picture (middle distance) that crosses the burn is one of the oldest of its type in the UK.
112, 209 & 350 pieces
St. Cuthbert’s Cross, on Church Hill, Alnmouth, Northumberland. This is said to be the location where St. Cuthbert agreed to become Bishop of Lindisfarne when petitioned by the king. The photograph is taken on Riverside Road, Alnmouth, overlooking the Aln Estuary. Church Hill and the cross appear to be close and to be an island, but the hill is on the mainland and not easy to reach, as it's a 3 mile walk to the other side of the estuary. The ruins of Mortuary Chapel (built in 1869-70) are on the west side of the hill too and you will probably pass those if you decide to walk to the cross. The chapel was built as part of a plan to reopen a cemetery on Church Hill, south of the village of Alnmouth.
144, 231 & 312 pieces
This is one of my favourite winter walks in our home town of Whitworth. The tree-lined footpath is a mere few hundred yards from home and runs parallel to the quarry road which takes you high above Cowm Reservoir. Work began on the reservoir on 26th December 1868, with many residences, farms and two cotton mills having to be demolished. The ruins of former homes at Cowclough can be visited by deviating off the 1.3 mile circular, levelled footpath that now encompasses the reservoir. In 1851, 52 people lived at Cowclough in a farmhouse plus 10 other households. The quarries on the hills above the reservoir are still in use and provided the stone for London's Trafalgar Square. The former reservoir, owned by United Utilities, is no longer used for drinking water but has water ski facilities. Tree planting schemes, including a Life for a Life Memorial Forest at Cowm Reservoir are encouraging birds and wildlife to return to the area.
120, 220 & 299 pieces
The small, former fishing village of Dunure (meaning Yew Hill in Gaelic) is in South Ayrshire, about five miles south of Ayr, on the coast of the Firth of Clyde. Even as recently as the 1960s Dunure was home to 30 fishing boats. As boats became larger and needed deeper water, the fleet declined and you are just as likely to see leisure craft moored up. The village also has a ruined medieval castle on the headland. It dates back to the 1200s and was once the home of the Kennedy Earls of Cassilis. Dunure is bypassed by the A719 and you have to make a special trip to visit, meaning that it's often overlooked.
144, 231 & 350 pieces
Gibson Mill, reflected in the mill's lodge. The mill is a 19th-century, National Trust cotton mill, at the heart of Hardcastle Crags near Hebden Bridge, in West Yorkshire. The mill is half way through the wooded valley and was the location for Dotheboys Hall in the 2002 film Nicholas Nickleby. The riverside & woodland is popular with walkers. Trees include oak, pine and beech. The woods are also home to the hairy wood ant, so if you're there in the summer watch out that you don't squash any!
119, 198 & 324 pieces
Gretna Green has been a wedding venue since 1754. Historically, Gretna is the first village in Scotland and the weddings originated from cross-border elopements, stemming from differences between Scottish marriage laws and those in neighbouring countries. The blacksmiths in Gretna became known as anvil priests, culminating with Richard Rennison, who performed 5,147 ceremonies. The legend of the blacksmith who forged the links of love, added interest to the place.
153, 264 & 364 pieces
All Saints Churchyard, in the Cotswold village of Down Ampney, Gloucestershire. The British composer Ralph Vaughan Williams was born in the vicarage on 12th October 1872. His father was the Rev’d Arthur Vaughan Williams. He died in 1875 and is buried in the churchyard at Down Ampney. His mother, Margaret, was a member of the Wedgewood family and a niece of Charles Darwin. Vaughan Williams composed his first work at the age of six and learned to play the piano, the organ and the violin as a child. His works include operas, ballets, and religious compositions, plus nine symphonies, written over almost fifty years. Vaughan Williams had such an affection for the village of Down Ampney that he dedicated one of his hymns "Come Down, O Love Divine" to the village of his birth. There is an exhibition about the life and work of Ralph Vaughan Williams in the base of the church tower.
162, 242 & 378 pieces
Cowm Reservoir, Whitworth provides a popular 1.3 miles circular walk along the levelled footpath that now encompasses the reservoir. Work began on the reservoir on 26th December 1868, with many residences, farms and two cotton mills having to be demolished. In July 1975 the reservoir was put out of use because of liquid phenol that had leached out of tyres being burnt high above the reservoir in the old quarries. The reservoir now has water ski facilities but is still not used as a drinking water source, although United Utilities has deemed it suitable. Stone quarries on the hills above the reservoir are still in use and provided the stone for London's Trafalgar Square. Tree planting schemes, (including a Life for a Life Memorial Forest) are encouraging birds and wildlife to return to the area. If you prefer a more strenuous walk, a bridle path at the far end of the reservoir takes you over the hills, past the ruins of Cow Clough and then to Hallfold. From here you can extend your walk to the delightful Healey Dell, which has featured on my website many times.
170, 299 & 364 pieces
The Fairy Chapel at Healey Dell Nature Reserve, Whitworth, Rossendale. The Reserve is Whitworth's 'Jewel in the Crown' and is located at the southern end of Whitworth, on the Whitworth - Rochdale border. Healey Dell is worthy of a visit at any time of the year. It has many walking routes, a wide range of flora and fauna and a rich industrial past. For centuries, the River Spodden has carved its way through the Dell that was once home to cotton mills, woollen mills and even a corn mill. The Healey Dell Heritage Centre & Tea Rooms houses permanent heritage information and local information trail guides. A disused railway line crosses the River Spodden and includes a spectacular 100 foot high viaduct that affords good views of the Dell. The former railway line has a level surface for the less agile, with some access points for wheelchair users.
144, 264 & 350 pieces
St. Mary's Shell is a public art sculpture on Cleveleys Beach, Lancashire and was designed by artist Stephen Broadbent. It is located at the northern end of the promenade, opposite Jubilee Gardens near to the seafront cafe. St. Mary's Shell is 8m long, 4m tall, and weighs16.5 tonnes. The metal sculpture is part of the Mythic Coast art trail, which brings the story of the Sea Swallow to life. The Sea Swallow is Wyre’s own story book, written for children, which blends local legends and folklore with real local features. A tall, white, Sea Swallow sculpture also graces the skyline at Cleveleys seafront.
153, 252 & 350 pieces
Brockhole is the Lake District National Park Authority Visitor Centre and is situated between Ambleside and Windermere. The site that is now the visitor centre was bought in 1896 as a holiday home for a wealthy silk merchant William Gaddum and his wife Edith (née) Potter, cousin to Beatrix Potter. There are 10 acres of formal gardens, created by the renowned landscape designer Thomas Mawson. There is also a children's adventure playground and 30 acres of grounds that stretch down to the shore of Windermere, England's largest lake, at 10.5 miles long and at its deepest 219 feet (66.7m). The house has spectacular views of Windermere and Langdale Pikes, Pike of Stickle and Harrison Stickle. The visitor centre organises several activities, including orienteering, cycle hire, kayaking and open water swimming, as well as housing regular exhibitions.
171, 242 & 338 pieces
St. Andrew's Church, Bramfield, in Suffolk lies just a few miles from the picturesque coastal towns of Southwold and Aldeburgh. Suffolk is rich in historic churches (there are around 500) and it has the second greatest density of medieval churches in the country, outside Norfolk. Most of the church is 14th century, replacing a timber church that is mentioned in the Domesday Book. It has a beautifully thatched roof and is the only one in Suffolk that has a detached round tower. The flintwork tower may possibly have been built to serve as a defensive stronghold for the nearby manor house, as well as to serve as a bell tower for the church. The tower stands over 40 feet high and has walls 4.5' thick. Within the tower is a ring of 5 bells, three of which were cast in 1440. Both the church and the tower are Grade I listed buildings. Bramfield was the site of a significant medieval pilgrimage shrine, and the painted recess for the shrine survives in the north wall of the nave.
153, 240 & 336 pieces
The view from Maiden Castle, an Iron Age hill fort near the village of Bickerton in Cheshire. Bickerton appears in the Domesday survey and was owned by Robert FitzHugh, baron of Malpas. It was one of many fortified hill-top settlements constructed across Britain during the Iron Age, but one of only seven in the county of Cheshire. The hill fort was probably occupied from its construction in 600 BC until the Roman conquest of Britain in the 1st century AD. It is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is owned by the National Trust. The hill fort is open to visitors, but do not expect to see a castle or fort in the true sense! However, you can admire stunning views from possibly the finest section of the Cheshire Sandstone Ridge across the Dee Valley to the Welsh hills, descend to the car parks through open birch woods, then circle back through sandy lanes via the picturesque settlement of Brown Knowl.
170, 252 & 350 pieces
The Coronation Coach flower display photograph was taken on 2nd June 2012, at the Royal Jubilee Flower Festival, held at All Saints Parish Church, Rothbury, to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth. The Gospel has been preached in Rothbury for 1,200 years. The Anglo-Saxons had a royal burgh here and an Anglian cross indicates that there was a church here in those days. Viking and Norman invasions, plus the Reformation and Cromwell’s Commonwealth destroyed many churches in the area. The Coquet valley was once one of the most violent parts of England. Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd June 2022 saw an extended Bank Holiday and weekend break to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. The Queen acceded to the throne on 6th February 1952 on the death of her father George VI, who died from a coronary thrombosis, aged 56. Her Coronation was on 2nd June 1953 when she was aged just 27.
154, 252 & 352 pieces
Ayr Gorge Woodlands is a Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve on the River Ayr Way walking route, in the village of Failford, South Ayrshire. The reserve was created in 1983. Admission is free, with limited parking in the village. The woodland (Coilsholm Wood) is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, notable for its ancient woodland of oak, ash and beech trees. The landscape provides a habitat for otters, badgers, kingfishers and dippers. Robert Burns walked in the woods and composed his poem 'To Mary in Heaven' in memory of his lover Mary Campbell (Highland Mary) who died in 1786 aged just 23. In the 17th century the covenanter minister Alexander Peden is said to have held religious meetings in the remote Coilsholm Wood, using a sandstone outcrop that overlooked the River Ayr. This is known as Peden's Pulpit and it was from here that he delivered his sermons. This short, woodland walk through the nature reserve terminates at Peden’s Cove.
144, 220 & 312 pieces
The Burns Monument and Gardens, at Alloway in South Ayrshire. The adjacent Robert Burns Birthplace Museum has an admission charge, but you can view the monument and explore the well-maintained landscaped gardens for free. Robert Burns, Scotland’s' national poet was born in Alloway and there are countless buildings and landmarks that are proud to be associated with him. Less than 20 years after Burns’s death in 1796, a committee made up of some of his most ardent supporters began to make plans to create a monument to the poet. The result was this 70ft high Grecian-style temple. It was designed by Sir Thomas Hamilton Junior and is complete with nine pillars that represent muses from Greek mythology. The monument was funded by subscriptions and opened in 1823. At the bottom of the gardens, you can visit Brig o’ Doon, the original 15th-century cobblestone bridge that provided the setting for one of Burns’s most famous works, the poem Tam o' Shanter, published in 1791.
120, 231 & 350 pieces
Alcester is an old market town of Roman origin that has been the subject of numerous archaeological digs and is now one of the best understood Roman settlements in the country. The town is approximately 8 miles west of Stratford-upon-Avon and is situated at the junction of the River Alne and the River Arrow in Warwickshire. Alcester includes a number of preserved black and white timber-frame Tudor buildings and is surrounded by luxuriant rolling countryside with thatched cottages and old farmhouses. Notable buildings in the town include Alcester Town Hall, built in 1618, the Georgian built Old Rectory and St.Nicholas's Church, from the 14th century. Close by are two local stately homes, Coughton Court, a National Trust property, whose ancestors were key conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 and Ragley Hall, which is the home of the Marquis of Hertford.
130, 221 & 352 pieces
Ennerdale Water is the most westerly of the lakes in Cumbria's Lake District National Park. It is also the most remote and is located in one of the most beautiful and serene valleys. The lake does not have a road running alongside it, although a 6.5 mile footpath encircles it. Allow about 4 hours for the circular walk or explore some of the 30 miles of traffic free paths. Ennerdale is a deep glacial lake, 2.5 miles long, 3/4 mile wide and 148 feet deep, with exceptionally clear water. It currently serves as a reservoir for the coastal towns of West Cumbria and is surrounded by some of the highest and best-known fells in Cumbria, including Great Gable, Green Gable, Brandreth, High Crag, Steeple and Pillar. To the west of the lake lies the hamlet of Ennerdale Bridge, close to the port of Whitehaven.
144, 220 & 312 pieces
Sweetheart Abbey is located in the village of New Abbey, 8 miles south of Dumfries, in Dumfries and Galloway. The Abbey is a shrine to human and divine love. On the death of Lord John Balliol in 1268 his grieving widow, Lady Dervorguilla of Galloway, had her husband's embalmed heart placed in an ivory casket and it is said that she carried it with her everywhere. Lady Dervorguilla undertook many charitable acts in her late husband's memory, including the founding of this Cistercian abbey of Dulce Cor (Latin for Sweet Heart) in 1273. When she too died in 1289, Dervorguilla was laid to rest in front of the abbey church's high altar, clutching her husband's heart. Notable other burials at the site include William Paterson, banker and founder of the Bank of England. The Abbey is in the care of Historic Scotland and the 14th century prayer book, known as The Sweetheart Abbey Breviary is now in the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh.
120, 231 & 350 pieces
Ogmore Castle is a Grade I listed castle ruin located near the village of Ogmore-by-Sea, south of the town of Bridgend in Glamorgan, South Wales. Admission is free. Ogmore, along with Coity and Newcastle, was part of a trio of fortresses built to guard Glamorgan against attacks from the Welsh-held west. The castle is situated on the south bank of the River Ewenny and the east bank of the River Ogmore. It began as a castle of earth and wood in the early 12th century but was quickly fortified in stone before being further strengthened with a curtain wall in the early 13th century. The picturesque river crossing is still marked by a series of ancient stepping stones which are a Scheduled Ancient Monument The deep, rock-cut ditch (see jigsaw) that surrounded the castle grounds was dry, except when the River Ewenny flooded the area during high tide.
144, 220 & 312 pieces
HMS Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy. She is 227 ft. 6 in. (69.34 m) long overall, has a beam of 51 ft. 10 in. (15.80 m) and a crew, at the time of Trafalgar, of 821 men. Victory was ordered in 1758 and launched from the Old Single Dock in Chatham's Royal Dockyard on 7th May 1765. She led fleets in the American War of Independence, the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic War. In 1805 HMS Victory achieved lasting fame as the flagship of Vice-Admiral Nelson in Britain's greatest naval victory, the defeat of the French and Spanish at the Battle of Trafalgar. In 1922, she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth and is preserved as a living museum to the Georgian Navy. HMS Victory has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord since October 2012 and is the world's oldest naval ship still in commission, with 244 years' service as of 2022.
120, 224 & 340 pieces
The historic, Georgian market town of Lymington is an ancient seaport with a rich maritime history. It is located on the west bank of the Lymington River on the Solent, in the New Forest district of Hampshire, between Southampton and Bournemouth. Lymington is a major yachting centre catered for by two sizeable world-class marinas and two sailing clubs. The town began as an Anglo-Saxon village and is recorded in the Domesday Book as ‘Lentune’. From the Middle Ages and up to the 19th century, Lymington was well-known for its salt making and from the early 19th century it had a thriving ship building industry. Lymington High Street was also home to Captain Arthur Phillip RN, the First Governor of New South Wales and founder of Sydney as a British penal colony, the first European settlement in Australia.
112, 209 & 312 pieces
Healey Dell Nature Reserve is Whitworth's 'Jewel in the Crown' and is located at the southern end of Whitworth, on the Whitworth - Rochdale border. Healey Dell is worthy of a visit at any time of the year. It has a wide range of flora and fauna, its own Fairy Chapel, and a rich industrial past. The River Spodden flows through the Dell that was once home to cotton mills, woollen mills and even a corn mill. The Healey Dell Heritage Centre has a permanent exhibition featuring a pictorial history of the Dell and a Victorian themed tearoom with English cream teas. The disused railway line and the spectacular 100 foot high viaduct (in the far distance of the picture) afford good views of the Dell and have a level surface for the less agile, with some access for wheelchair users.
117, 204 & 336 pieces
The village of Cley next the Sea (pronounced "cly" to rhyme with "spy") lies on the remote North Norfolk coast. The tiny village, with its flint cottages, is dominated by Cley windmill, one of Norfolk's best known landmarks. Cley Marshes and nearby Blakeney Point are both excellent areas for bird watching. In medieval times Cley was one of the principal ports of East Anglia, and exported large quantities of wool & grain. The first mention of Cley Windmill was an advert in the Norfolk Chronicle of 26th June 1819, where the mill was for sale, described as "newly erected" and in the ownership of the Farthing family. It was worked until 1919 and then fell into disrepair. In 1921, the windmill was sold for the sum of £350 and the new owner had the mill converted to a holiday home. The landmark was again for sale in 2019, believed to be in the region of £3m. (Landranger Grid Reference TG045435)
144, 231 & 299 pieces
Durham Cathedral is the oldest surviving building with a stone vaulted ceiling on such a grand scale. Work began on the cathedral in 1093 and lasted for 40 years. It was built to show off the might of the new Norman rulers and to house the remains of St Cuthbert, transported to Durham by Lindisfarne monks in the ninth century. The travel writer Bill Bryson said, after his visit to Durham Cathedral - "I was charmed by this show of friendliness and captivated to find myself amid such perfection and unhesitatingly gave Durham my vote for best cathedral on planet Earth." The cathedral and the adjacent 11th-century castle were designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986.
153, 264 & 364 pieces
The pergola in the walled garden at Hare Hill Hall, a country house and garden in the parish of Over Alderley in Cheshire. The house and grounds are privately owned and the separate, nearby garden is in the care of the National Trust. The walled garden contains a pergola and wire horse sculptures. The garden was owned by Colonel Charles Brocklehurst until his death in 1981. His twin brother Patrick was killed in 1930 in an Army steeplechase at Tidworth. The walled garden has been restored in line with Brocklehurst's vision, with white perennial borders, planted in pairs and the commissioning of the sculptures to represent the twins.
144, 252 & 350 pieces
St. John the Baptist Church in Burford, Oxfordshire is known as a Wool Church, financed by donations from rich wool merchants and farmers, hoping to ensure a place in heaven. The altar scene depicts the Nativity (birth) of Jesus Christ. Christmas is the 'Mass of Christ', Mass being a religious festival and is the time when Christians everywhere celebrate His birth. Because Jesus was born more than 2000 years ago, and before accurate records were kept, we are not sure of the exact date, but Shepherds brought their lambs, so it may have been springtime. Nevertheless, late December was already special, as it was when people paid their thanks for the return of longer day-light after the winter solstice. We know from the Bible that Jesus was born in Bethlehem and that Mary and Joseph had travelled from Nazareth to Bethlehem for the Roman census. Christmas has been celebrated by Christians since approximately 400 A.D.
120, 220 & 312 pieces
The apothecary window display at Haworth, in West Yorkshire. Haworth's main claim to fame is its association with the literary Brontë sisters - Anne, Charlotte and Emily. The apothecary is where their brother Branwell, who was a creative writer and painter, bought his opium. Branwell was an alcoholic and an opium addict, addictions that ultimately led to his death at the age of 31.
144, 252 & 350 pieces
The Nativity at Selby Abbey in North Yorkshire. Selby is one of the relatively few surviving abbey churches of the medieval period and is one of the biggest. It is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and St. Germain. St. Germain was the bishop of Paris and a saint of the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church. According to an early biography, he was known as Germain d'Autun - the 'Father of the Poor'.
153, 264 & 312 pieces
Howden Minster is also known as the Minster Church of St. Peter and St. Paul and is located in the East Riding of Yorkshire. There has been a church at Howden since Anglo-Saxon times. The Church of England Minster and Chapter House are Grade I listed (1966). The Great West Window (see picture) contains two scenes of 19th century glass by the Belgian glazier, Jean-Baptiste Capronnier and may have been inspired by windows in Cologne cathedral.